The Waverly Hills Sanatorium is located in Louisville, Kentucky and its construction began in 1908. By July 26, 1910 the Sanatorium began to accept Tuberculosis patients. Over the years the Waverly Hills Sanatorium became a city in and of itself. As many large hospitals were in their heyday.
By 1926 a brick sanatorium had been built that was meant to house 400, or so, TB patients. The sanatorium closed in 1961 and was renovated and re-opened in 1962 as a geriatric facility. It operated as such until is was closed in 1981. (therealwaverlyhills.com)
According to prairieghosts.com there is a ghostly little girl who likes to run up and down in the third floor solarium. A small boy who carries a ball has been reportedly seen as well. How about witnessing a ghostly hearse pulling up to the back of the building to drop off ghostly coffins? That would make my hair stand on end.
An apparition of a woman with bleeding wrists has been seen and heard crying for help. There have been reports of the spirit of a man dressed in a white coat seen walking in the kitchen. Cooking can be smelt in the kitchen and cafeteria specifically the aroma of freshly baked bread. The Waverly Hills Sanatorium is known for the sound of footsteps and doors that close on their own, often by slamming shut.
Ever tried an escape room? Check out this one in Louisville
Legends of the 4th and 5th Floors
Room 502 has seen tragedy in the past. It is said that in 1928 a nurse who worked at the Waverly Hills Sanatorium hanged herself in Room 502. While in 1932 a nurse working in Room 502 fell from the roof patio. It is not known if the nurse jumped, or if she was pushed, to her death.
According to prairieghost.com the 4th floor is the area with the most activity witnessed during a tour they took. Doors were heard slamming from the section of the 4th floor that is too degraded for humans to enter. Prairieghost.com reportedly saw a “clear and distinct silhouette of a man cross the lighted doorway, (it) passed into the hall and vanished into a room on the other side of the corridor.”
Location: Danvers, Massachusetts (aka Salem Village until 1752)
According to the historyofmassachusetts.org, the Danvers State Lunatic Asylum was built between 1874 and 1878. The land on which it was built is called Hathorne Hill after Judge John Hathorne of the Salem Witch Trials who had lived there. The land was purchased from a farmer, Francis Dodge, in the 1870s. It cost $1.5 million to build the asylum at a time when America was still recovering from their Civil War. Over time approximately 40 buildings went up to house TB patients, staff, the medical building, machine shops, two nursing homes, a pump house, cemetery, and cottages, many were connected by underground tunnels.
From 1920 to 1945 the treatments done at the Danvers State Insane Asylum on patients included ECT and lobotomies. Patients often faced neglect and the use of restraints. These treatments are said to “have left a massive psychic imprint on the walls.” (hauntedrooms.com)
Dr. Walter J. Freeman II reportedly conducted numerous lobotomies in the Danvers State Insane Asylum. The care of the patients declined as overcrowding took over while staffing levels remained unchanged. Eventually, the asylum closed in 1992. Reports from visitors to the asylum included hearing voices asking for help and tortured screams.
The building’s facade remains as luxury apartments were constructed and opened in 2008. The area is now known as Halstead Danvers. I wonder if the screams are still heard?
In 1916 forty patients moved into the hospital prior to its opening in 1917. The hospital continued to grow in response to the needs of the surrounding area and by the 1930s the hospital had opened a ward for WWI veterans, another for civilian men, another for women and a separate ward as a Tuberculosis Sanitarium. The 1940s brought electro-convulsive therapy (ECT) into fashion for those suffering from mental illness. The 1950s saw the practice of lobotomies used on the mentally ill.
The hospital expanded its scope once again in the 1960s to include an adolescent unit and an alcohol treatment unit. In 1997 a high-security building was constructed and still operates to this day with about 200 court-ordered patients housed within its walls. (thefurther.net)
Tours are available where visitors can hope to hear unusual noises, doors slamming, disembodied whispers, and perhaps have the chance to capture orbs or apparitions with their cameras. It seems that the town of Alton has other haunted locations too which means that it is now on our ghost hunting bucket list. Is it on yours?