Netflix is a streaming service that enables its viewers to have access to television series and movies from all genres for a small monthly subscription fee. Netflix can be streamed through anything with an internet connection and a screen so, in other words, your laptop, your smart TV, your smartphone or a TV hooked up to a cable box or a gaming system.
Let’s find some movies to add to your list on Netflix.
The 13 Best Scary Movies on Netflix
#13. Would You Rather
- Director – David Guy Levy
- Released- February 8, 2013 (USA)
- Starring – Brittany Snow as Iris, Jeffrey Combs as Shepard Lambrick, John Heard as Conway, and Sasha Grey as Amy
Summary- Eight people are trapped in a mansion by a sadistic madman who forces them to play an increasingly deadly game of “Would You Rather?” This movie is not only a bit gory but is also a psychological thriller.
#12 Grave Encounters
- Directors – The Vicious Brothers ( a.k.a. Colin Minihan & Stuart Ortiz)
- Released – 2011
- Starring – Sean Rogerson as Lance Preston, Ashleigh Gryzko as Sasha Parker, Juan Riedinger as Matt White, Ben Wilkinson as Jerry Hartfield, and Merwin Mondesir as T.C. Gibson
This “found footage” genre movie is about a crew of young people that search for ghosts and the proof of life after death in an abandoned mental asylum. It is scary on so many levels.
#11 The Abandoned
- Director – Eytan Rockaway
- Released – January 8, 2016 (USA)
- Starring – Louisa Krause as Streak, Jason Patric as Cooper, and Mark Margolis as Jim
A mentally unstable woman working as a security guard in a dilapidated building when she makes a horrifying discovery.
#10 The Other Side of the Door
- Director – Johannes Roberts
- Released – 2016
- Starring – Sarah Wayne Callies as Maria, Logan Creran as Oliver, Jeremy Sisto as Michael, Sofia Rosinsky as Lucy, and Suchitra Pillai as Piki
A mother seeks to speak with her young son Oliver, who died tragically but ignores a warning she was given about the Temple she visits in order to say her last goodbye. This causes a blurring of the line that divides life and death.
#9 Insidious Chapter 2
- Director – James Wan
- Released – September 13, 2013
- Starring – Rose Byrne as Renai Lambert, Patrick Wilson as Josh Lambert, Ty Simpkins as Dalton Lambert, Barbara Hershey as Lorraine Lambert, and Lin Shaye as Elise Rainier
The Lambert family wants to resume their ordinary life now that their son is no longer possessed by evil spirits. But Renai’s husband Josh is now the one possessed. To try to save Josh from the malevolent forces Lorraine Lambert must work with her ghost-hunting friends as they investigate the family’s past.
#8 The Girls in the Photographs
- Director – Nick Simon
- Released – April 1, 2016 (USA)
- Starring – Kal Penn as Peter Hemmings, Claudia Lee as Colleen, Kenny Wormald as Chris, and Toby Hemingway as Ben
A young lady in a small town begins receiving photographs of savagely murdered young women. Are they real? Why are they being sent to her? Is there a sick jokester or a serial killer taunting her?
#7 Silent Hill
- Director – Christophe Gans
- Released – 2006
- Starring – Radha Mitchell as Rose Da Silva, Sean Bean as Christopher Mitchell, and Laurie Holden as Cybil Bennet
Rose is searching for her daughter that she believes has gone missing within the confines of the very strange, foggy, and desolate town of Silent Hill. Based on the video game of the same name.
#6 Sinister 2
- Director – Ciaran Foy
- Released – August 21, 2015 (USA)
- Starring – James Ransone as Ex-Deputy, Shannyn Sossamon as Courtney Collins, Robert Sloan as Dylan Collins, Dartanian Sloan as Zach Collins, and Lea Coco as Clint Collins
A mother and her twin sons move into a rural house that is “marked for death.” The Deputy tries to save this family from the fate of being victimized, or worse, by the demon Bhughul.
#5 You’re Next
- Director – Adam Wingard
- Released – August 28, 2013(USA)
- Starring – Sharni Vinson as Erin, Nicholas Tucci as Felix, Wendy Glenn as Zee, and AJ Bowen as Crispian
The Davison family is on an anniversary getaway when a gang of killers attacks them. The gang will learn that one of their victims has a hidden talent for revenge.
#4 The Windmill
- Director – Nick Jongerius
- Released – October 25, 2016 (USA)
- Starring – Patrick Baladi as Douglas West, Ben Batt as Jackson, and Charlotte Beaumont as Jennifer Harris
Jennifer is on the run from her past when she ends up in Amsterdam. In an attempt to continue running she joins a bus tour of Holland’s famous windmills. Adventure, fear, and secrets collide when the bus breaks down near a sinister windmill that has an evil past.
#3 Green Room
- Director – Jeremy Saulnier
- Released – May 13, 2016 (USA)
- Starring – Anton Yelchin as Pat, Joe Cole as Reece, Alia Shawkat as Sam, and Callum Turner as Tiger
A band accidentally stumbles on a murder being committed by a group of neo-Nazi skinheads. The skinheads then want to eliminate the only witnesses.
#2 It Follows
- Director – David Robert Mitchell
- Released – March 27, 2015 (USA)
- Starring – Maika Monroe as Jay Height, Keir Gilchrist as Paul, and Olivia Luccardi as Yara
Jay is 19 as she should be living life to the fullest. After a seemingly regular type of sexual encounter, Jay feels that she is being followed by a spirit. Jay also begins to have strange visions and she and her friends try to rid her of the horror she is experiencing.
#1 Evil Dead
- Director – Sam Raimi
- Released – April 15, 1983 (USA)
- Starring – Bruce Campbell as “Ash” Williams, Ellen Sandweiss as Cheryl, and Betsy Baker as Linda
Five college students find a book and an audio tape in a remote cabin. When the incantations are read aloud it releases an evil that will kill them off during the night. The lone survivor is left with the evil dead and fighting for survival until dawn breaks.
The Other Half